Sunday, May 4, 2008

To Wholesale or Not?

As everyone knows, I am still fairly new to the jewelry and Etsy Biz. I have been making jewelry since 1989, but I am very green at marketing and such. Needless to say, I have been contacted about wholesaling my work to a boutique. Yayyy...now what?

Well, not wanting to come off as a complete idiot, I e-mailed the boutique owner back and asked her to send me some more info on her shop. I asked for the amount of traffic, items sold, and target customers. I also looked on-line and gleaned some information about the shop. It seems to be a popular store with a unique atmosphere. A "gem" in that part of town, apparently.
Rena Klinengerg who runs the huge site "Home Jewelry Business Success Tips" is a fount of information. I found tips on wholesale pricing, how to print up a jewelry line sheet, and many other tips I will be utilizing in the next few days. If you haven't checked out her site, do yourself a favor if you make and sell your own jewelry.
http://www.home-jewelry-business-success-tips.com/index.html

Now that I know how to print a line sheet, I need to decide on which pieces I would like to wholesale. I need to have pieces that are easily mass produced, not too expensive to make, and pieces that have some "oooommmph" to them. Tomorrow I will be taking inventory to decide which 12 pieces I'll put on my line sheet. I'll get back to you and let you know how it goes! Hopefully I'll have a completed line sheet or at least a draft to post. Off to bed to dream about jewelry and line sheets, and displays, and earring cards, and......zzzzzz

No comments: